Saturday, January 3, 2009

Why Do I Blog ???


A current photo of me.

Why Do I Blog??? I was talking with a friend the other day about my blog. I mentioned that I have a blog, it’s no big success, but I love writing it. My friend asked me why I bother if nobody really notices. I had to think about it a bit, but now I really do know why.

I think we are the first generation where the common every day guy can record his life for everyone to see. In years past, only the wealthy could have education and access to publishers. Over the years it got better with newspapers, we could even write letters to the editor and express who we are and what we feel. But today, anyone with a computer at their finger tips, which is almost everyone in the known first world nations and growing numbers in other nations, can record their lives.

We can talk about what we like and don’t like. We can write about the things that we believe, whether those beliefs are religious, political or just our simple opinions. We can record what we think is funny or sad or what angers us. We can tell the world about our special events, the birth of a child, a wedding, the death of a loved one, the fear we feel over a disease that we have to live with.

I like to imagine a world where my descendants will not only be able to know about Napoleon and George Washington, but they will be able to read about their great, great, great grand dad and get a sense about who and what he was. I would love to know that generations from now, those in our family line can have a good sense about who they are and where they came from.

So why do I do it, because it’s fun and because we can leave our families the opportunity to get to know us long after we are gone.

No comments: