Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy House Hunting!


The house hunt is on. Do you think this is too small for my needs? I was thinking not enough room for family gatherings, but it might just have to do, lol.

I am actively looking for a new place to live. I am always surprised at how many answers I get to an ad and about how diverse the people who answer the ads are. I have had answers from younger folks and older ones, from people of different colors and nationalities, from people in a rush to get you in no matter who you are and from those who want credit and background checks. I swear in some cases a sign that says ‘Axe murderers must bring cash’ would be the appropriate ad text, because some will offer a place to anyone and just don’t seem to care. It seems that all walks of life are sharing housing these days.

I have also had offers for all types of places. From people who own high end homes with mother in law suits that they want to rent out to people who actually want to share one room together in a single bedroom apartment or home. I have seen pictures of large rooms, small rooms, rooms with and without baths. Places with household privileges and places where the rental begins and ends at the room. I have even been sent pictures of dirty rooms with litter all over the carpet and I wonder what kind of individual these attract.

I have also found that the price range on rooming situations is not that wide compared to price ranges when shopping for a house. I have also noticed that the quality of the room does not seem to have much to do with price. It’s almost like most people have a magic number regarding what they consider the value of a single room and bath and they all seem to stick in the same range regardless of whether they live in a palatial home or in a modest hovel.

I am excited about the prospect of the future and even look forward to it. But I do have concerns about repeating the mistakes of the past. Still, I think I have learned enough to move forward and try again. But only time tell.


No comments: