Thursday, May 1, 2008

Saving for a Mobile Home




While I know I am at risk of being labeled 'trailer trash' I will present this thought anyway. I am at an age where I simply no longer have the dream of owning my own 'real' house. I have decided to look for a mobile home instead as I can realistically save enough for it and own it by the time I am retired. While it may not be as nice as a real house, I will be able to have a nice 2-3 bedroom place with a full kitchen and living area for a reasonable and affordable price.

What has shocked me is the range of conditions that I have found in the same price range. I have seen everything from well cared for pampered homes to ugly unkept places that have leaks in the roof and missing toilets all in the same price range. I imagine that it is because mobile homes, like cars, lose value over time. It seems that when they hit a certain age, the difference really becomes modest between those that were well cared for and those that have not been cared for at all.

If any readers know anything about what to look for in a mobile home, I would love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to email me or make comments. I am a new buyer and I want to be as prepared as possible before I move forward! Thanks so much.

No comments: